A Summit of Heads of the Federal Government of Somalia and Heads of Federal Member States was held in Dhusamareb, the capital of Galmudug State 19–22, 2020. The summit was Chaired by Federal President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo and attended by Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire, Presidents Ahmed Abdi Kaariye (Galmudug), Saciid Abdullahi Deni (Puntland), Abdiaziz Hassan Mohamed Laftagareen (South West), Ahmed Mohamed Islaan (Jubbaland) and Mohamed Abdi Waare (Hirshabelle).
The meeting discussed the country’s political, economic and security situation as well as a special discussion on the issues of elections;
- The Forum strengthened the unity and solidarity of the country and the people of Somalia.
- The Forum agreed to intensify cooperation between the Federal Government and Member States in stabilising the country and in the fight against terrorism.
- The forum also agreed to strengthen economic development issues and the debt-forgiveness process in Somalia.
- The leaders agreed to hold timely and credible elections in the country.
- The leaders agreed to establish a technical committee from the Federal Government of Somalia and Member States. The committee will work on recommendations on the modalities and conduct of the country’s elections.
- The leaders agreed to convene a second conference in Dhusamareb, the capital of Galmudug, within two weeks to complete discussions on the country’s electoral process.
- The Forum expresses gratitude to the Government and the people of Galmudug for the warm reception and hospitality extended to the Somali leaders and delegates who attended the conference. The forum also acknowledges and appreciates the reconciliation process that gave birth to the new Galmudug that enabled it to host this conference to discuss the country’s future. This was achieved as a result of the good leadership on the part of the leaders and the maturity of the people of Galmudug to lay the foundations for peace and development.
- Finally, the Conference appreciates the International Community for its significant contribution to the reconstruction and development of governance in Somalia.